Don't let yourself waste.
- White people: My Black friend
- White people: My Black teacher
- White people: The substitute was Black
- White people: You heard about the new Black girl?
- White people: That Black guy
- White people: The Black one
- White people: ...
- White people: Black.
- Black people: You see this picture of this group of white women yelling at a Black woman in the civil rights era?
- White people: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO SPECIFY THAT THEY WERE WHITE? YOU DON'T HAVE TO MENTION THEIR RACE. RACE IS NOT IMPORTANT. THERE IS NO REASON TO PUT SOMEONE'S RACE BEFORE TALKING ABOUT THEM. THIS PICTURE OF A GROUP OF RACIST WHITE WOMEN ATTACKING A WOMAN FOR BEING BLACK HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE ANYWAY, OKAY?/?/?
How many Americans do you figure have even heard, for example, that black youth arrested for drug possession for the first time are incarcerated at a rate that is forty-eight times greater than the rate for white youth, even when all other factors surrounding the crime are identical (4)? How many have heard that persons with “white sounding names,” according to a massive national study, are fifty percent more likely to be called back for a job interview than those with “black sounding” names, even when all other credentials are the same (5)? How many know that white men with a criminal record are slightly more likely to be called back for a job interview than black men without one, even when the men are equally qualified, and present themselves to potential employers in an identical fashion (6)? How many have heard that according to the Justice Department, Black and Latino males are three times more likely than white males to have their vehicles stopped and searched by police, even though white males are over four times more likely to have illegal contraband in our cars on the occasions when we are searched (7)? How many are aware that black and Latino students are about half as likely as whites to be placed in advanced or honors classes in school, and twice as likely to be placed in remedial classes? Or that even when test scores and prior performance would justify higher placement, students of color are far less likely to be placed in honors classes (8)? Or that students of color are 2-3 times more likely than whites to be suspended or expelled from school, even though rates of serious school rule infractions do not differ to any significant degree between racial groups (9)? What Kind of Card is Race - Hot Topics - Danielle Belton’s The Black Snob (via robot-heart-politics)
- What you say: I'm economically conservative and socially liberal
- What I hear: Poor people can starve for all I care so long as I have weed.
← Older posts Page 1 of 22